Intrepid tales of New York, coming soon!

New York

I’m a bit disappointed none of you have emailed me in the last month to make sure I wasn’t dead. It’s been over a month since my last entry, an entry devoted to my chronic illness, so weren’t you just a little bit worried? I could have been trapped under that IKEA desk I didn’t assemble properly.

Fortunately I haven’t been trapped under Swedish furniture. I’ve been trapped under a crippling amount of work that piled up after my working vacation in New York last month. The problem with a working vacation is that you don’t do a very good job of either. When I was working, I was bummed that I wasn’t vacationing. When I was vacationing, I felt like I should be working instead. Freelancing can be great because you can work anywhere, but you don’t really want to work in exotic locations. You want to vacation in exotic locations.

That said, I still had a pretty good time. My friends Zoey and Jasper let me stay in their place on the Upper West Side as long as I used my opposable thumbs to open their cans of Whiskas. It felt odd that I had to get a cat-sitter so I could in turn go cat-sit some big city cats. I felt like one of the maids in The Help who leaves her kids at home to take care of some rich family’s kids instead. Still, free apartment! And the cats only vomited once.

Thanks again to everyone who left suggestions on my New York post. I made note of things mentioned by more than one person, and took several of restaurant and food recommendations. I probably spent 3-4 days working, 3-4 days sightseeing, and 1-2 days napping or ill, all non-consecutively.

I’m in the process of writing up my experiences on this trip, but it is taking forever because I have a lot more to say than I thought I would. I need time to organize it in a sensible way instead of posting crazy bullet points for you to interpret like, “Follow the ginger!” and “Blacklight purse,” which I swear are actual notes I have scribbled down and not phrases I have fabricated for your amusement. I also have to work on people’s web sites in the mean time, because I promised them I would and I like having income even if I don’t always like having to work for it.

So! Coming sometime in the near future: journal entries about New York! Though they might be calling it Old York by the time I’m done.

Later:
Earlier:
Home: Main blog index

Comments

1. Sharilyn says

I was worried, but I didn’t want to hover like a helicopter mom. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

2. Rebekah says

I only stalk here, so I didn’t feel comfortable demanding an explanation for your absence.

Also, give me your phone number so I can have it.

Wait, what?

Ignore that last bit.

3. says

Glad you had a good time! I definitely missed you, but felt bad sending you an email that would basically say, “Come back and entertain me!!!” Hope your cats didn’t miss you tooooo bad. Mine give me major attitude when I come back from a long trip :-)

4. says

God, Jenn, I WAS worried–I checked every couple days and just yesterday thought maybe I should even Google your name for any bad news … But you hate people fawning over you with headache cures, so I thought you would also hate a “Are you ok?” post”! glad you’re back :)

5. Sarah says

I actually thought about commenting yesterday. So it looks like a lot of us were thinking of you. I am sure if you would have passed; your so famous that your death would have made national news.

6. Rina says

Ha! Several times I thought of sending you an “are you dead” email, but I thought you’d be inundated already and wouldn’t want to spend the time replying to yet another one. In all honesty, I actually did wonder for a bit if you actually were dead. :)

7. Chrissy says

Well, I did notice that you hadn’t updated for a bit, but that can be the case occasionally. You’re allowed.

Can’t wait to hear about NYC. I feel your travel reviews are so well written & useful. I expect to glean from this one also, and can’t wait to put the pointers to use. Want to go back soon!

“Follow the ginger” and “blacklight purse” are certainly curious notes. I assume someone tried to sell you a purse…..I’m sure it was not counterfeit, either……
    Welcome home,
    Chrissy

8. JenFul says

Ok, I’m glad I didn’t drop off the face of the planet without some notice, though I’m sorry if I genuinely worried anybody. Thanks for still stopping by the blog! I appreciate it.