Intrepid tales of New York, coming soon!

New York

I’m a bit disappointed none of you have emailed me in the last month to make sure I wasn’t dead. It’s been over a month since my last entry, an entry devoted to my chronic illness, so weren’t you just a little bit worried? I could have been trapped under that IKEA desk I didn’t assemble properly.

Fortunately I haven’t been trapped under Swedish furniture. I’ve been trapped under a crippling amount of work that piled up after my working vacation in New York last month. The problem with a working vacation is that you don’t do a very good job of either. When I was working, I was bummed that I wasn’t vacationing. When I was vacationing, I felt like I should be working instead. Freelancing can be great because you can work anywhere, but you don’t really want to work in exotic locations. You want to vacation in exotic locations.

That said, I still had a pretty good time. My friends Zoey and Jasper let me stay in their place on the Upper West Side as long as I used my opposable thumbs to open their cans of Whiskas. It felt odd that I had to get a cat-sitter so I could in turn go cat-sit some big city cats. I felt like one of the maids in The Help who leaves her kids at home to take care of some rich family’s kids instead. Still, free apartment! And the cats only vomited once.

Thanks again to everyone who left suggestions on my New York post. I made note of things mentioned by more than one person, and took several of restaurant and food recommendations. I probably spent 3-4 days working, 3-4 days sightseeing, and 1-2 days napping or ill, all non-consecutively.

I’m in the process of writing up my experiences on this trip, but it is taking forever because I have a lot more to say than I thought I would. I need time to organize it in a sensible way instead of posting crazy bullet points for you to interpret like, “Follow the ginger!” and “Blacklight purse,” which I swear are actual notes I have scribbled down and not phrases I have fabricated for your amusement. I also have to work on people’s web sites in the mean time, because I promised them I would and I like having income even if I don’t always like having to work for it.

So! Coming sometime in the near future: journal entries about New York! Though they might be calling it Old York by the time I’m done.

Post navigation
Later:
Earlier:
Home: Main blog index

Comments

1. Aimee says

Reading this and snacking on an Almond Joy…which I now notice says “Peter Paul” above it. It must be like the Iluminati…

2. Nancy says

Peter Paul Mounds used to be what they called the Mounds bars in the 70s (and I’m sure before then too.) You weren’t around then, right? I have a vague memory of the commercials.

3. JudithNYC says

Another one showing her advanced age. Yep, I am sure that the Peter Paul is a reference to the Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars. I am pretty sure they have been around since the 40s or even before that. The candy bars, I don’t know about the cafe.

4. says

Really enjoyed reading your NY Diaries especially since I’ll be visiting there in a few weeks. It gives me plenty of ideas and honestly I must admit makes me want to go to most of the places you did :) “You’ve Got Mail” is one of my all time favorite movies since hubby and I met online not long before it came out. Anyway, can’t wait to go and then come back and say “I’ve been there” too :)

5. says

OMG, you have such a way with words. That last paragraph about why you like to travel–just marvelous. It says what is true for many of us, but I would never have been able to express it so eloquently. I went to NYC in 1966, as part of a group of kids who went to D.C. (from Nebraska–on a bus–what a great trip!) for a 4-H citizenship school and afterwards, took a quick 3-day tour of NYC. I loved it, we went to the top of the Empire State Building at twilight (what a view!), and went to the Fish Market and a Broadway Show (I saw Ginger Rogers in Hello Dolly!). My sons went in 2000, toured the World Trade Center, (which was non-existent in 1966), and also had a GREAT time. I remember, as a young girl from the Midwest, being shocked at how expensive the city was–we had a pizza delivered to our hotel room, and I remember thinking that with tip, etc., the cost was almost $1.00/slice! HORRORS!

As a really old person, YES, Peter Paul used to be the company that made both Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars, cause sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don’t.

6. Chrissy says

Hi Jennette, thanks for posting the NYC chronicles….I am headed there (only for the day) & thought I would stop here first for input.

Every time I go I intend to knock a few more things of my to do list. It’s going to be a long process. :)

Thanks again for posting-I might come look it up again next time. Oh, & maybe some day I will get to refer to your notes from Europe!